Hi Everyone, Sibyl Here,
In my talk with Stephi this morning, she told me she had a really good, "less pain" day
yesterday. She had been concerned about getting addicted to the narcotics, but getting
ahead of the pain and maintaining her quality of life and positive attitude is much more important. Besides she has so much pain, she is not even getting a buzz from the stuff.
I told her we will all be happy to work with her drug rehabilitation once she gets into remission.
I encourage everyone to weigh in on this. Sometimes people get their priorities mixed up and play with the patient's mind, too many talk shows. Stephi has a vicious disease. She has a team helping her. If there is a pain medication regiment that will relieve her of the suffering and keep her active, I say Go for it.
Stephi and I are working out the particulars for my visit with her. One of the people I am really
eager to meet is Oakdale, PA native, Dr. Frank Slovick, who is Stephi's oncologist/hematologist.
I am making up a list of questions (I have 24 right now, poor guy!) If any of you can think of good questions I can ask, send them. I will inform via the blog when I get answers. I know you all love and care about Stephi and want to know what you can do to help. I am a firm believer in Knowledge is Power. So we are all going to be Myeloma Scholar/Athletes. ( Dr. Slovick is in his early forties. I wonder if Janey drove him on her school bus. Probably not, She was with Fort Cherry for a long time before she went to the South Fayette School District. Sorry, went off into a stream of consciousness stroll.)
Stephi is excited that our sister Denise is busy today making
Great Aunt Nettie's Galette recipe. She is shipping a huge batch
of those 7,000 calorie Belgian treats out to Stephi.
You are a better woman than me, Nese! I made them once
and then hung up the old galette iron. No wonder Aunt Nettie
was so bent over. (There are more modern ELECTRIC galette irons, now.)
Stephi reads the blog. Please keep commenting.
Love,
Sib


3 comments:
Loud Music
My stepdaughter and I circle round and round
You see, I like the music loud, the speakers
throbbing, jam-packing the room with sound whether
Bach or rock and roll, the volume cranked up so
each bass note is like a hand smacking the gut.
But my stepdaughter disagrees. She is four
And likes the music decorous, pitched below
her own vice- that tenuous projection of self.
With music blasting, she feels she disappears,
is lost within the blare, which in fact I like.
But at four what she wants is self-location
and uses her voice as a porpoise uses
its sonar: to find herself in all this space.
If she had a sort of box with a peephole
and looked inside, what she'd like to see would be
herself standing there in her red pants, jacket,
yellow plastic lunch box: a perfect subject
for serious study. But me, if I raised
the same box to my eye, I would wish to find
the ocean on one of those days when wind
and thick cloud make the water gray and restless
as if some creature brooded underneath,
a rocky coast with a road along the shore
where someone like me was walking and has gone.
-stephen dobyns
Loud Music
My stepdaughter and I circle round and round
You see, I like the music loud, the speakers
throbbing, jam-packing the room with sound whether
Bach or rock and roll, the volume cranked up so
each bass note is like a hand smacking the gut.
But my stepdaughter disagrees. She is four
And likes the music decorous, pitched below
her own vice- that tenuous projection of self.
With music blasting, she feels she disappears,
is lost within the blare, which in fact I like.
But at four what she wants is self-location
and uses her voice as a porpoise uses
its sonar: to find herself in all this space.
If she had a sort of box with a peephole
and looked inside, what she'd like to see would be
herself standing there in her red pants, jacket,
yellow plastic lunch box: a perfect subject
for serious study. But me, if I raised
the same box to my eye, I would wish to find
the ocean on one of those days when wind
and thick cloud make the water gray and restless
as if some creature brooded underneath,
a rocky coast with a road along the shore
where someone like me was walking and has gone.
-stephen dobyns
November 24, 2007 8:31 PM
Don't be afraid to take that pain medication....just follow the doctor's instructions. Think about it....he know's you and what you are dealing with. He studied "this stuff" in school. He knows what is appropriate for you or he would not prescribe it. If these meds. help you to relax, then you can begin the process of healing.
That's my wisdom for today. Love, Mary
Post a Comment