To Mary, Trish Parker and Gwen (in Vermont),
Thank you for your help on the Acupunction
question. I am pursuing. Thank you for caring.
Stephi enjoyed the Lion King last night, in spite of the
back pain. We had a tough time getting back to the car.
From now on , when I do not know how far the walk is,
I am packing up the wheelchair.
Love,
Sib


2 comments:
From cousin Mary:
I don't know how long you plan on being at Stephie's but that wheelchair is going to ruin your back. I was killing myself putting my mom's in and out of the trunk. She was never going to navigate it on her own so we got her a transport chair. It doesn't have the big back wheels and is much lighter. Just a thought. Mary
From Sibyl friend Trish Redmon in Georgia:
Hello, Sibyl:
Your most recent blog posting triggered a question: Do you have a transport chair for Stephi or just a real wheelchair? If you’re really loading a wheelchair with your bad back, I recommend that Stephi acquire a transport chair for trips. This will make life easier for anyone helping her in the future. I purchased one for my mother when I moved here (and replaced it with a newer, lighter model shortly before she died.) It made it easy to take her out for lunch and shopping.
Transport chairs are extremely lightweight because they lack the heavy side wheels. They are designed to be pushed and not for self-propulsion. They come with removable footrests, just like wheelchairs, and fold to fit easily into a trunk. The last one I bought was a Medline Excel Freedom model that weighed less than 15 pounds. You can get one from a local durable medical equipment dealer or order one online (someplace like www.1800wheelchair.com.) I paid less than $200 for the most recent one. Insurance companies usually refuse to pay for a transport chair in addition to a wheelchair, so I just bought them outright for Mama.
Take care,
Trish
Post a Comment