Hi Everyone, This is Sibyl,
Stephi has been officially released from
the University of Kansas Medical System
and is back in the care of her Oncologist,
Dr Frank Slovik (Who grew up in Oakdale
just a mile from our hometown, McDonald, PA.
One of Stephi's favorite teachers, Ed Rousselelli,
is Dr. Slovik's uncle.) So it was a pleasant visit.
Stephi continues to experience fatigue, so much
so that she had to rest twice while she dressed today.
We picked Ken up at the Assisted Living Center
and right now both of them are taking naps. We
plan to go out for dinner tonight to celebrate Ken's
72 nd birthday which was yesterday.
I think from now on for the next 60 days, Stephi
is probably going to have days much like today.
We seem to be doing well at keeping her Pain
managed. The fatigue is going to be a given for
months. She will have intermittent nausea and
shakiness. She is extremely susceptible to any
and all infections for the next few months or even
longer until we can have her re-innoculated. Dr
Sllovik said as soon as she can get the nausea
under control, he will put her back on thalidomide.
Now that she can eat fruits and vegetables again,
she should conquer some of the bowel problems
she encountered.
So that is where she is right now. We are into the
boring(Thank God) rebuilding phase of her recovery.
I will continue to put up blog messages but
probably not as often as when we were struggling
to get her to Bone Marrow Transplant. We are so
grateful for all the support, cards, gifts, prayers
and well wishes.
Please feel free to write on the blog or email me
if you have questions. I promise to still put up at
least one blog entry a week, probably two.
Love,
Sib


2 comments:
This is a note from our cousin Lou Ira's widow and my reply to her:
In a message dated 7/28/2008 10:41:01 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, mkdallas@sbcglobal.net writes:
Hi Sib,
Have failed to blog whenever I am on the official site but am reduced to tears everytime I read it. Thank god Steph is in remission and you have been her strength as well as the rest of your family and friends. Please take care of yourself now for awhile. We all wonder how we would ever hold up and do what you all have done. I will continue to watch for your updates and do hope things continue to where you are only sharing good news. Are you returning to your "life" now or remaining nearby? We love you and are proud to know you.
Mary Kay
Hi Mary Kay,
Thank you so much. I love you, too.
I am sorry to tell you we will not know if Stephi is in remission until after she is 100 days post transplant, but we arevery hopeful. Steph sleeps 18 hours a day. I am hoping that is her body rebuilding. I am beginning to make plans for when I do go home. I do not think that will be until Thanksgiving or Christmas. Stephi just does not have anyone to lean on and she is still very weak. She has
some life altering decisions to make (selling her house,etc.) and I am engaging a Psychiatric
Social Worker to assist her with those decisions (I do not want
to tell her how to live the rest of her life.) Please keep in mind that the form of cancer she has is not curable by medical means right now. (I believe in miracles.) I have been trying to buy her a few extra good quality of life years and be here with her so she is not so frightened.
I feel good about this year and think care giving is the most rewarding activity anyone can do. It has been a gift to me as well.
Kisses to Everybody!!
Love,
Sib
What a beautiful account of a sister's love. I last saw Stephanie at graduation in 1966 and remember her as the Head Majorette at FCHS...always looked up to by her fellow classmates. Keep up the good fight, Steph, and thank you, Sybil, for sharing her story. I too believe in miracles and the power of prayer. I will keep Steph in my prayers.
Debi (Lemon) Heller ... another Dude Hiller
Post a Comment