Thursday, July 31, 2008

Thank You for the Help

Hi everyone, This is Sibyl,

I am so grateful for the flood of responses of
suggestions of Psychiatric Social Workers from
Stephi's former secretary, our friends at the
Support Group, several of my local clients and
friends, my brother in law and Stephi's neightbors.
I am beginning to set up appointments to pick
the three most likely "good Blends" for Steph. I
love Stephi like crazy and she loves me, however
I am not her Higher Power and have never aspired
to be. Too often, when people are sick they make
the person they live with the "Be All to end All".
Well, whether not that has happened before,
in Stephi's/my case, it is not happening. Steph
and I are going to church this Sunday. We both
know where that Power belongs. She said she
knows of a church she would like to become
a part of........

Steph is still having a tremendous amount of pain
with what may be a new myeloma on her knee. We
are having an emergency meeting with her oncologist
today. This and the necessary general isolation she
has been in had her in a funk last night. I talked her
into preparing herself to 'face the world', don
mask-gloves-can of Lysol, and we attended a sparsely
attended showing of Momma Mia. That silly film
was able to lift her spirits, at least for a little while.
She still has to be careful about her very weak
immune system, especially around children, but
it would be good for her to start seeing people she
cares about again. If you do not have a cold, please
call to set up a visit. Steph needs to feel more
connected to her world. She wants to see and
talk with the people who love her.

I read this little truism and would like to
share it:
There is no difference between happiness and
depression. They both have the same process.
It is just the content that is not the same.
Both will come and go. The major difference
between them is what we do with them.
We are always seeing happiness. When we see
it coming we say, "Ah, come here, I see you.
Stay with me always." Happiness laughs
and says, "Oh, Good. She's seen me, I can
leave now." And it does.
With depression, we see it coming and
we say, "Go away, I don't want you. Not me."
And depression sighs and says, "Here we
go again, I am going to have to get bigger
and bigger for her to hear me and learn
what I have to teach." So it taps us on the
shoulder and says, "Over here, Over Here."
Until it gets our attention. Then it leaves.
Both happiness and depression have
something to teach us. Both come and go.
Both will return. It is our response and
openness to learn from both that makes
the difference.
My happiness is a gift. My depression
is a gift. Both are like butterflies in my life.


Love,
Sib

1 comment:

Sibyl Masquelier said...

Daily Comfort for Caregivers by Pat Samples

"I am doing the best job I can taking care of my loved one, but I get a lot of static from some people. They don't like how I am doing things. They think the current conditions are My fault. Or, they think I am in this for the Money (even though this is costing me dearly financially and many other ways). It hurts me and makes me mad.
I tend to take their comments personally, But it helps to remember that what they say is a reflection of their own hurt and fear, their own sadness, confusion and denial. Not everyone involved in my loved one's life has her best interests in mind. This is a time for support and understanding, but some people are insensitive or selfish. Their neglect or manipulation of my loved one add insult to injury. I do what I can to protect her, but I cannot always put a stop to their actions. And, I often end up being treated like the bad guy. It is unfair.
I could become bitter and vengeful over this unfairness, but that would only make me miserable. It helps if I reassure myself that I am doing the best I can to make things right for my loved one. It helps to talk about my frustration with friends, clergy, trusted family members and support groups. Then I am reminded that I am not the only one who has to deal with unfairness, and I find the strength to prevent the disturbing actions of others from dragging me down. Indeed, it makes me stronger.
I hang onto my peace of mind even when life is unfair."
Amen,Sister.